Thursday, August 30, 2012

Ceann Traigh Ghruinneart


On BBC Alba's Horo Gheallaidh last week I caught this song by Gaelic song quartert Cruinn. Even with my limited Gaelic I thought hey that's a song about Islay! And indeed it is.

'Ceann Traigh Ghruinneart' is a lament for Sir Lachlan MacLean of Duart, who along with hundreds of others was killed in the battle of Gruinart Strand on Islay in 1598. The battle was between Clan Donald and Clan McLean. According to legend, Lachlan was killed by an arrow fired by a dwarf known as Dubh Sith (Black Fairy).

Some of the lyrics of this old pibroch song were recorded by folklorist Calum Iain Maclean  from John MacCormick of Gruinart in Islay in 1953, a full version was later recorded in North Uist in 1976 (see Tobar an Dualchais).

Lyrics:
Ceann Traigh Ghruinneart

'S ann aig ceann Tràigh Ghruinneart a dh'fhàg mi'n curaidh
'S ann aig ceann Tràigh Ghruinneart a dh'fhàg mi
Fear a thairrneadh lann 's a bhuaileadh buillean
Aig ceann Tràigh Ghruinneart a dh'fhàg mi

Clò dubh, clò donn, clò mo chrich
Clò dubh, clò donn, clòthlan
Gura daor a reic mi 'n clòthlan dubh
Gura daor a reic mi 'n clòthlan

Translation:
It was at the head of Gruineart sands I left the hero
It was at the head of Gruineat sands I left
A man who could draw a sword and strike blows
At the head of Gruineart sands I left him

Black cloth, brown cloth, cloth that destroyed me
Black cloth, brown cloth, little batch of black cloth
Dearly did I sell that little batch of black cloth
Dearly did I sell the little batch of cloth


1 comment:

  1. Very beautiful and eerie sound coming from my speakers. They must be specially set whenever I turn them on, because if they're not the sound comes out hollow and as if far away. I didn't set them when I turned them on just now. Perfect for this lament!

    ReplyDelete